Blueberries and fresh greens are abundant during the summer months, therefore, why not combine them into a salad? Crunchy greens, sweet blueberries, warm pineapple and a citrus dressing are a perfect compliment to any meal. Top the salad with almond slivers for extra flavor.
Experiment with a variety of greens: spinach, leaf lettuce, arugula and baby kale. Purchase fresh produce from your local farmers to get the freshest foods and to support your community economy.Jump to Recipe
Pineapple Health Benefits:
- Immunity – Just one 3 1/2″ x 3/4″ ring provides 67% of the Vitamin C daily allowance. Vitamin C aids in white blood cell production, a key immune system element.
- Inflammation – Rich in bromelain, an enzyme that reduces swelling and pain due to inflammation or injury.
- Digestion – Fiber, water and bromelain content support a healthy digestive tract.
- Strong bones – Vitamin C is an essential nutrient for bone health
- Heart health – Potassium and magnesium help control blood pressure
Nutrition in 1 pineapple slice (3 1/2″ x 3/4″):
- 42 calories
- Carbohydrates – 11 g
- Fiber – 1.2 g (4% RDI)
- Protein – .5 g
- Vitamin C – 67% RDI
- Vitamin B6 – 5% RDI
- Potassium – 2%
- Magnesium – 2%
Note – RDI = Recommended Daily Intake
Benefits of blueberries:
- Low calorie, high nutrition food – Blueberries are made of 85% water, therefore are a filling and hydrating fruit.
- Antioxidant – Flavonoids, the type of antioxidant in blueberries, fight unstable molecules that cause cell damage and disease in the body.
- Immunity – Vitamin C and antioxidants improve immune system function
Nutrition in 1/4 cup blueberries:
- 21 calories
- Carbohydrates – 5 1/4 g
- Fiber – > 1g
- Protein – > 1g
- Vitamin C – 6% RDI
Blueberry and Grilled Pineapple Green Salad with Citrus Poppyseed Dressing
- Grill and grill basket
- 6 cups Leafy greens such as spinach, arugula, baby kale, leaf lettuce
- 1 28oz Pineapple rings fresh
- ½ cup Spring onion slices
- 1 cup Blueberries fresh
- ½ cup Olive oil light
- ½ cup Orange juice fresh or bottled
- 1 ½ teas Dijon mustard
- ½ teas Salt natural, not iodized
- 1 teas Poppyseeds
- ¼ Optional: almond slices
- Preheat grill to 350° and organize the salad ingredients
- Plate the leafy greens: 1 ½ cups per serving (4 total)
- Divide the onion slices and blueberries equally between the 4 plates
- In a bottle, such as a mason jar or a bowl, combine the oil, oj, mustard, salt, and poppyseeds and whisk until well combined
- Spread the pineapple rings evenly in the grill basket. You may use foil lightly sprayed with olive oil as an alternative.
- Grill the pineapple rings approximately 3 minutes, then flip each piece and return to the grill for another 2 minutes or until golden yellow with brown grill marks.
- Place 2-3 pineapple rings on each salad. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of the blended dressing. Reserve extra dressing for other salads.
- Optional: top with sliced almonds