When my adult children and tiny grandchildren visit, oatmeal and blueberries are always on the breakfast menu. This simple and wholesome recipe is vegan and free of egg, dairy and gluten. Omit the almonds and exchange the coconut oil for olive oil, to make a nut-free version.
Baked Oatmeal is easy to prepare the night before or to pull together quickly in the morning. Make it for guests or meal prep 3/4 cup portions for a fast healthy breakfast each day of the week.
Baked Oatmeal with Blueberries
- ⅔ cup sliced almonds raw
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 5 tbsp water
- 2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- 1 teas baking powder
- 2 teas cinnamon
- ½ teas nutmeg
- ¾ teas sea salt
- 2½ tbsp coconut oil divided, 2T + ½T
- ¼ cup maple syrup room temperature
- 1¾ cup 100% apple juice room temperature
- 2 teas vanilla extract
- 2 cups fresh blueberries washed
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Place the sliced almonds into a 9" x 9" baking pan and toast in the oven 5-8 minutes. Check every 2 minutes to prevent from overcooking. Remove from oven when lightly browned.
- Combine the flax seed and water in a small bowl, mix and set aside.
- Place the dry ingredients into a bowl and mix: oats, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and toated almonds.
- Divide the coconut oil. Place ½ tablespoon into the warm 9" x 9" pan that held the almonds, and allow to melt and coat the pan. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons in the microwave.
- Combine the coconut oil, maple syrup, apple juice and vanilla. If the coconut oil coagulates because the juice or syrup temperature is too cool, place in microwave and heat 30 – 60 seconds until liquid.
- Add the "flax egg" (flax seed and water) to the liquid and stir well.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry and mix.
- Add the blueberries and stir well.
- Pour the batter into the baking pan, spreading out the blueberries as evenly as possible.
- Bake 30 minutes, until the blueberries are juicy and the oatmeal is light brown.
- Serve warm.
- Melted coconut oil – Olive oil
- Flax seed/water – 2 large eggs, beaten
- Maple syrup – honey (equal parts)
- Melted coconut oil – melted butter (equal parts)