What makes veggie hash a great meal? Colorful, crunchy purple cabbage, turmeric-chickpea flour batter and the blend of grated carrots, onions and potatoes. This is one of those messy-to-make meals that is so worth the effort. It never fails, when I shred vegetables, I find pieces on my kitchen counter, stove top, floor and my black lab’s lips! The flavor of the hash and the health benefits of the ingredients keep this meal on my weekly menu.
Health benefits of purple cabbage
Purple cabbage is a fiber-rich, nutrient and antioxidant dense food. Anthocyanin, a powerful antioxidant, gives cabbage its bright purple color, making it both visually appealing and good for your heart health. One cup of cabbage provides more than half of the daily recommended allowance of Vitamin C and one third of the requirements for Vitamin K. These vitamins are essential for bone health, making cabbage a great non-dairy option for a strong skeleton. Cabbage improves digestion due to its fiber and and anti-inflammatory compound, sulforaphane. Sulforaphane and anthocyanin are known as “cancer fighting compounds” and may reduce risk for colon and breast cancer.
Purple Cabbage Veggie Hash
- 1 Leek white to pale green, thinly sliced
- 1 Sweet onion thinly sliced and cut in half (approximately 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 ½ cups Carrots shredded
- 1 cup Potato shredded
- 2 cups Purple cabbage shredded
- ½ cup Chickpea flour
- ¾ teas Tumeric
- ½ teas Black pepper
- 1 teas Sea salt
- ½ cup Water
- Prepare the vegetables with a knife, a grater or a food processor.
- In a small bowl, combine the chickpea flour, tumeric, black pepper and salt. Add the half cup of water, and mix well and set aside.
- In a large saute pan, add the olive oil, leeks and onions. Cook over medium heat until tender.
- Add the shredded carrots, potatoes and cabbage and saute until the vegetables are soft.
- Pour the batter on top of the vegetable mixture and stir well.
- Allow to cook, scraping the bottom of the pan every few minutes. The vegetables and batter will become lightly browned. Continue turning the mixture until the batter is no longer wet.
- Serve hot.